NOTE: I typed this post at the time, but had no internet so couldn’t publish it… So here it is, just a little late. PS: We are in the house now, have had the keys for a week today!!! So after realising that living in world with no internet is no fun, I got a little mobile dongle, so I’m back in the world of the living (First world problems hey!!!)
Ok – we are getting close, so very very close. No actual date yet, but I’m certain it will be done soon, and we will have those keys in our hot little hands.
Monday February 15th, 2016 – The water damaged carpet was pulled up, I also saw the security/alarm guys on site too.
Tuesday 16th – Didn’t notice anyone on site
Wednesday 17th – The newer new carpet went in, and I think the missing stone bench top in the pantry went in today.
Thursday 18th – Didn’t see anyone
Friday 19th – Plumbers on site
Saturday 20th – Painters on site. We completed the rain garden (minus the final pebble layer)
Monday 22nd February, 2016: Glass replaced at front door. (should have been translucent but was clear) We also had our New Home Presentation. (see paragraph further down about that)
Tuesday 23rd – Didn’t see anyone
Wednesday 24th – No idea about today, as my darling boy was in hospital over night. This emergency dash has reminded me that while our new home is amazing it would be nothing without my family in it. I love the house, but I love my family more. It was a scary reminder that the house is not what is important. I am still excited as it’s been a long road, but I’m mindful to be present in life. Deep I know, but true.
Thursday 25th – Plumber on site
Friday 26th – Electrician on site
Saturday 27th – Render fixed
Sunday 28th – Painters on site
NEW HOME PRESENTATION (NHP) REVIEW
So the NHP was an experience – I found it quite stressful to be honest. I think I was wearing rose coloured glasses for the last few weeks/months. lol. I felt the house was perfect, but when your entourage start nit picking and placing blue tape everywhere it is so deflating. Now don’t get me wrong on this – it was essential that this step happen, and I don’t want to notice issues in a few months once we are settled, but I had my eye on the prize and with every piece of blue tape I felt a barrier go up. With the stress building I decided to remove myself and get away from the crowd, so I went on my own and tested every powerpoint. I took a phone charger and checked every single powerpoint – and I am so glad I did as I found 5 double points that didn’t work. Including my daughters whole bedroom. So what were the main issues you ask… Painting was the main issue. We paid for 3 coats of paint, which is an upgrade. It was very questionable that 3 coats have been done. The cavity sliding doors have started turning yellow – they are not white. That is annoying as we don’t even live there yet, it does make me nervous that the quality of the paint they use is ordinary at best. Especially if it is yellowing already. The upstairs rumpus room window had two major scratches (on the outside) so this double glazed window has to be replaced. The butlers pantry window was also scratched, but it was relatively minor. The front and back render had a patch that needed to be touched up. There was a problem with a height variance between a door frame and the roof architraves. It was out by about 1cm. The door frame was straight so it is most likely the roof isn’t so straight. I couldn’t see this without a ruler showing the difference. My concern was that the roof is safe and not going to collapse on us. It’s fine, just not lazer leveled. I’m not sure it is something that noticeable and its not in a spot where I will hang art etc so I really don’t think it is that big of a deal. I hope that makes sense – it’s hard to explain it. lol There was no hot water. The alarm and intercom weren’t working, assuming just not connected. And the alarm sensors are all at different heights – they aren’t even. Just looks weird in each room. There was paint on the tiles and floorboards, and for a house that was apparently cleaned that morning, there were lots of marks on the tiles too. The tiles in the main ensuite don’t sit right around the drain, it’s quite sharp. So the drain is going to raised. There was also an issue with the carpet at the main bathroom being a fair bit lower than the tiled floor – so essentially you could stub your toe – and if that happened I think you would take a nice chunk out as it’s fairly sharp too. Not ideal for the bathroom the kids will use. The staircase wasn’t sanded back very well, and has a few parts that need to be fixed. There were some other things, but these are the main ones and the ones I can actually remember.